http://www.clearwater.com.au/pcm-9574/index.php?page=journal.html

 The kernel does seem to have driver support for the ESS1989 audio chip
set, via the maestro3 module. The source code identifies it as "ESS
Maestro3/Allegro driver for Linux 2.4.x by Zach Brown".

I played around for a while, and was able to get as far finding that
modprobe maestro3 logs the following to /var/log/messages.

May 12 19:05:45 sweet kernel: PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:0b.0
May 12 19:05:45 sweet kernel: maestro3: Configuring ESS Allegro found at
IO 0xE800 IRQ 9
May 12 19:05:45 sweet kernel: maestro3:  subvendor id: 0x00000000
May 12 19:05:46 sweet kernel: ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id:
0x4583:0x8308 (ESS Allegro ES1988)
May 12 19:05:46 sweet modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
sound-service-0-6

But I wasn't able to make any sound, and eventually found I wasn't
making any forward progress.

I also found that the ALSA project now supports the ESS-1989 Allegro-1.
I downloaded the drivers, libraries and tools packages for version
0.5.10b. Initially I encountered this running ./configure:

checking for kernel version... expr: syntax error
expr: syntax error
expr: syntax error
failed (probably missing /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h)

After a bit of digging the solution turned out to be:

rpm -Uvh kernel-source-2.4.2-2.i386.rpm
ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.4.2 /usr/src/linux

Next, running make generated a whole ton of compiler warnings, and
eventually failed at:

In file included from seq_queue.h:26,
                 from seq.c:28:
seq_timer.h:78: conflicting types for `timer_t'

A quick inspection shows that the ALSA source is defining a type
timer_t, which is already defined by the system. This doesn't look like
something I want to dig into. Conclusion: the ALSA sources do not build
out of the box with RH 7.1.

Out of time and patience, I resorted to the excellent OSS drivers. I
downloaded the latest version, untarred it, and after simply doing this:

./oss-install
  /usr/lib/oss/soundon

I have audio! Gotta give those guys credit for the simplicity and
quality of their software.

So I'm almost back where I started. I now have the current version of
gcc (which was the motivation for doing this in the first place) and
audio is again operational. For the record, building my current work
project on this little baby with 64Mb of RAM takes about 22 seconds,
whereas building on my new Pentium IV 1.4GHz with 256Mb takes about 16
seconds. I suspect a large part of the difference is due to the extra
RAM. The P4 really doesn't seem much faster than the P3.

--
http://ld.net/?nswint