The problem was the group permissions: the cgi-bin and files were owned by
the root group. I changed ownership to the mitch group, and now my cgi
scripts run from a link in a web page when called with a browser. I had
created the cgi-bin as root orginally, because I thought that only the
admin could do it. Now I see that's not true, since the commonhttpd.conf
allows the owner of a public_html directory to create their own cgi-bin.

Maybe there shouldn't be a "mitch" group? Anyway, I'm just glad it works.
Thanks for the help everyone! I learned a lot about some subjects that were
just vauge to me before, ie, apache configuration files and commands. The
correct permissions were already set for cgi in the commonhttpd.conf, which
gets included into httpd.conf; so I didn't need to change anything in
there. I changed it all back to default settings.

mitch

                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    Sent by:                     To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    newbie-owner@linux-ma        cc:

                    ndrake.com                   Subject:     Re: [newbie] Is CGI set
up for user accounts from normal
                                                 install?

                    01/04/02 12:35 PM

                    Please respond to

                    newbie

Oops. I made a mistake. Not sure if it matters ... but below was the actual
output on my screen from running the scripts from the command line. Last
email I had inadvertly added an extra line of space between the command
line and the start of the output.

[mitch@tcob cgi-bin]# perl -c test.cgi
test.cgi syntax OK

[mitch@tcob cgi-bin]# perl test.cgi

[mitch@tcob cgi-bin]# perl test.pl

mitch

                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    Sent by:                     To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    newbie-owner@linux-ma        cc:

                    ndrake.com                   Subject:     Re: [newbie]
Is CGI set up for user accounts from normal
                                                 install?

                    01/04/02 12:29 PM

                    Please respond to

                    newbie

Yep. I did three tests. First I checked the syntax of test.cgi. It was
fine. Then I ran test.cgi and test.pl from the command line. Here is what I
saw on my screen:

[mitch@tcob cgi-bin]# perl -c test.cgi
test.cgi syntax OK

[mitch@tcob cgi-bin]# perl test.cgi

[mitch@tcob cgi-bin]# perl test.pl

mitch

                    Keith Lynn

                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    u>                           cc:

                    Sent by:                     Subject:     Re: [newbie]
Is CGI set up for user accounts from normal
                    newbie-owner@linux-ma        install?

                    ndrake.com

                    01/04/02 11:21 AM

                    Please respond to

                    newbie

Mitch,
     Are you able to execute your scripts on the command line?

Keith Lynn
Systems Administrator
School of Computer and Information Sciences
University of South Alabama
Mobile, AL 36608
Phone: (334) 460-6390
Fax: (334) 460-7274
Alternate E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Here is the cgi script:
>
> #! usr/bin/perl
>
> use CGI;
>
> $query = new CGI;
>
> print $query->header;

> I also used this script before, but it didn't work either, same error:
>
> #! usr/bin/perl
>
> print"content-type: text/html\n\n";
>

>                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>                     Sent by:                     To: