On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 08:07:23 -0500, Randy Kramer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> > On Mon, 07 Jan 2002 09:26:17 -0500, Randy Kramer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > But, I for one don't plan to reward NVidia by buying anything from them.
> <snip>
> > If you mean http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/23551.html, then I don't
> > see any problem with it. The crackers were obviously doing something
> > illegal, by posing as employees and Nvidia partners to breach Nvidia's
> > firewall.
> >
> > Nvidia themselves have no right to seize computer equipment, but they would
> > have sought some sort of court order to allow the police to do so. This is a
> > perfectly normal procedure for trials to do with computer cracking.
>
> Sridhar,
>
> Yes, I believe this is what I saw (a reference to).  I have mixed
> feelings (this is a few days after reading the article) -- I guess some
> of the specific things they did were illegal and should not be condoned.
> (And I guess they go beyond the things I might do in a similar situation
> -- it's one thing to call a company and ask for information without
> volunteering who you are or what your purpose may be, or reviewing
> publicly available information on paper, on the web, or in trade
> magazines, but to represent yourself as someone else is not right).
>
> But I still don't plan to buy anything from NVidia, maybe more because:
>    * I probably would not have anyway seeing as how they are not the
> generic low cost supplier of video cards

I normally wouldn't buy Nvidia, but the Nforce is surprisingly good value for
money. It is a CPU chipset, not a graphics card. It includes GeForce 2 MX
graphics, ethernet, Dolby Digital 5.1 sound, HomePNA networking, a speculative
prefetch cache and two RAM channels. It is far cheaper than buying all these
components as separate cards, and according to the reviews I have read (quite a
few) its integrated solutions offer better performance than standalone hardware.
It's based on the same technology they used in the Xbox.

>    * Linux drivers are either not available or problematic

True. Nvidia claim to have "complete Linux drivers" but at present they only
have drivers for the integrated graphics (the open source drivers work as well).
The other components would, therefore, be useless to me until new drivers are
released (which Nvidia have promised to do).

>    * All the reports I see on the newbie and expert lists seeking help
> with NVidia

So very true :) I've decided to wait a little longer to see if they release
proper GNU/Linux drivers, then I'll make a decision. ATI have announced that
they are developing a similar chipset to compete, and I would much rather buy
from them.

Thanks for the input!

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

                Mac OS, Windows, BeOS: they're all just Xerox copies.