I would probably go with the external.........if you don't want to
use up your isa slots...... I haven't tried usb's.........but almost
any External modem will work since they are hardware based. I use US
Robotics Sportster .......... both the internal ISA and the External.
Plus the External USR is probably cheaper than a new usb.

Just my 2cents :)
--
Dave Crouse
Running Mandrake 8.1