OK, I thought this was going to be an easy one.  Apparently I was wrong.  I
have an Epson Perfection 1650 USB scanner chosen partially because it is
supported by SANE under Linux. I am running Mandrake 8.1 which has USB
support.  But the scanner does not show up in /dev/usb, though usbview
shows it as present.  And, of course, it doesn't show up --- nothing does
--- in sane-find-scanner run as root.

I downloaded and installed the latest versions of sane (1.0.6) and xsane
(0.83) to no avail.

Help! I have been through the newbie and expert email archives and found
nothing that seems relevant. Where do I look next? Anybody got a spare clue
for me?

andy

        Andy Davidson   --- Pheon Research
   If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything.