On Sunday 13 January 2002 12:37, you wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>       Right now, I have Linux Mandrake installed on Computer2 (PII-266
> 256MB Ram, etc) and Win2000 installed on Computer1 (Athlon 900 512 MB Ram,
> etc). My question is, I know windows can handle it if you take the
> harddrive out of Computer1 and put it in Computer2 and boot to it. It will
> detect all the new hardware and such. Will Linux be able to handle the same
> (ie. taking the harddrive from Computer2 and putting it in Computer1 to
> boot to)?
>
> Thanks,
> Tony
I did this once back in 7.2 or 8.0 and yes it was a minor problem. Very
minor. I think Linux (Mandrake in particular) handles this very well.  Just
be sure Kudzu is set as on  during boot and any funny stuff should be
detected and fixed.  You have to be sure that your bios is set to handle the
disk and no plug n play OS installed and you put it on the same ide channel
as well as your other periferals should be in the same channel and same set
as master and slave,  but other than that It should be a very smooth swap.
Somebody jump in her and correct me if I'm wrong, cause I haven't done it
with 8.1.  Just remember to back up, backup, backup the important stuff. HTH
--
Dennis M. registered linux user # 180842