On Sunday 13 January 2002 14:25, you wrote:
> Dennis Myers wrote:
> > On Sunday 13 January 2002 12:37, you wrote:
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >       Right now, I have Linux Mandrake installed on Computer2 (PII-266
> > > 256MB Ram, etc) and Win2000 installed on Computer1 (Athlon 900 512 MB
> > > Ram, etc). My question is, I know windows can handle it if you take the
> > > harddrive out of Computer1 and put it in Computer2 and boot to it. It
> > > will detect all the new hardware and such. Will Linux be able to handle
> > > the same (ie. taking the harddrive from Computer2 and putting it in
> > > Computer1 to boot to)?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Tony
> >
> > I did this once back in 7.2 or 8.0 and yes it was a minor problem.
>
> I did  this with 8.0 and even moved it to a different channel
> and moved a windows drive too. all went very easy and only had to boot
> with floppy and run lilo to restore boot-up.
>
> Moved it to second channel by mistake but both ran fro the second
> channel fine ( eventhough win drive was hdc ! ) Put a backup drive at
> hda and this ran fine like this untill the win drive died. ( it was very
> old and small.)
>
> I have a switched drive to other boxes too no prob. with Mandrake 7x.
>
> Mike McNeese
> Springdale Arkansas USA
>
> Linux user # 248955
>
> If obstacles are all you see, you have lost sight of the goal!

Cool! you just have to love linux..  Go for the change Tony.   As for Mike's
post, that kind of deal would have brought windows to it's knees.  I will not
be any less cautious in the future, but it's nice to know that Mandrake can
handle even the most severe driving conditions.  :  )
--
Dennis M. registered linux user # 180842