LWIS>   Hi,

LWIS>   I am having a problem getting Lilo to work on my machine. I have a
LWIS> motherboard with an old
LWIS> 1996 bios that doesn't support hard disks larger than 8.4 gig. Maxtor's
LWIS> MaxBlast disk manger
LWIS> software provides an extension to the bios code to allow my 20 gig drive to
LWIS> work. I have
LWIS> tried to install Mandrake 8.1 several times always with the same result:
LWIS> When I reboot,
LWIS> LIL is printed to the screen then it hangs.

LWIS>   When I first installed MaxBlast, I allowed it to partition the drive. When
LWIS> I tried to install Linux
LWIS> the disk partitioning software got confused and trashed the whole partition
LWIS> table. I thought
LWIS> that perhaps Linux didn't like the way MaxBlast created the partitions so I
LWIS> used a Win98
LWIS> boot disk and fdisk to create the two Windows partitions. Tried to install
LWIS> Linux again today
LWIS> and still get the LIL thing.

LWIS>   Is there a way around this?

LWIS> Thanks,
LWIS> Larry

 Sounds like a tough question.

 - What does maxblast do? I mean, how do you make it run ? Off a
    floppy? Does it add any info to your bios? Does it come before
    your harddisk boots ?

 - Have you tried using a system disk to boot mandrake?

 - Have you tried using loadlin to boot linux from a dos system ?

   loadlin  vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5

   for example, and you must have a kernel in that partition, I
   assumed its name is vmlinuz, and hda5 is your "/" partition.

 - Do you have your linux "kernel", I mean the boot partition at
   least, within the first 8 GB ?

 - Is your hard disk set to LBA or normal mode in your bios ?
   ( if sector and head numbers are 255 and 15 it most probably is)

 Onur Kucuk