Dave Sherman wrote:
> If you wanted to do that, you would be asking Apache to ignore the basic
> *nix filesystem rules, which I don't think is possible. The server would
> have to calculate every possible upper/lower case combination for each
> directory and file a user might request, and that would cause a
> (probably big) performance hit!

Just for the sake of completeness: Or, it could do what Windows does,
basically convert the entire name to lower (or upper) case, i.e., it
makes no distinction between, for example, TeSt and test.  I think there
may be places where this is the appropriate user friendly behavior.

> And if there are two files with the same
> name (except for upper/lower case), then what would Apache do?

If TeSt and test are indeed different files, Apache has a problem, if
TeSt, test, TEST, etc. all refer to a file named test, Apache could
handle it.  Of course, we would have fewer file names available.

Randy Kramer