Mario,

Thanks for your response!

Mario Michael da Costa wrote:
> Before burning the cd's you run the MD5 on an ISO image file. After
> burning the cd's you are running MD5 on some of the files (????) on
> the cd.

I think running "md5sum /dev/cdroms/cdrom1" does the md5sum on the
entire CD, i.e., all the files, and more as an image than as a series of
files, in other words, it does the physical sectors one after the other,
not in logical file order (IIUC).

> These should be different. If you really want to check, after
> burning the cd, extract the iso image from it, and run MD5 on that
> iso.

I ran a test like that quite some time ago.  But, IIRC, it did not match
the md5sum of the original downloaded iso, even though it seemed to work
totally correctly (this was long before my recent problems with Mandrake
8.1).  And, depending on how the cd was written (padding bytes, etc.)
and how the new iso image is created (by what software), I'm quite
certain you will get different results.  If there was a standard way of
extracting an iso image, such that every software package created an iso
image from the same CD with the same md5sum, it would work to do the
md5sum after the creation of the iso, although it is an extra step
compared to just doing the md5sum on the CD.  (I guess that's an
approach that could work in Windows.)

When I get a chance, I'll try some more experiments -- I'll try creating
an iso in Easy Creator CD and see if it's iso matches the original
downloaded iso.  (I'll do this on a known good CD (I hope).)  I'll also
try to create an iso with a different software package.  (I must have
something around here that can do that.)

I'll post again when I have some results.

Randy Kramer