Mario Michael da Costa wrote:
> Randy Kramer wrote:
> > I've checked the md5sums after downloading, and also after burning
> > (using "md5sum /dev/cdroms/cdrom1"), but after burning the md5sums can
> > be different (for various reasons) without necessarily indicating a
> > problem.  I burn my cds under Windows using Adaptec Easy CD Creator
> > Deluxe, version 3.5c.
> Before burning the cd's you run the MD5 on an ISO image file. After
> burning the cd's you are running MD5 on some of the files (????) on
> the cd. These should be different. If you really want to check, after
> burning the cd, extract the iso image from it, and run MD5 on that
> iso. Then compare with the MD5 of original iso. These in my opinion
> must be same.

Mario (and others),

I ran some additional tests -- see this WikiLearn (TWiki) page:

http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/Md5sumsAfterBurning

My md5sum results after recreating an image were different than the
original md5sum of the downloaded image.  (Of course, I may have a
hardware or other problem.)

I would be interested in any tests anyone else tries related to this
subject -- register at the TWiki and edit the page yourself, or email
results to me (or the list).  (If you wait for me to update the page, it
could take awhile.)

Randy Kramer