Hi folks -

I've just installed my first copy of Linux on to a Compaq laptop in a dual
boot configuration.

However, although it seems to boot OK , it then drops out to the black login
screen - not sure if that is what it's supposed to do or not.

I can then login as root or a user but when I type Startx or StartKDE it
says 'unable to open display' - canot connect to X server : $Display is not
set.

Is this something to do with not selecting the right monitor?  I couldn't
find anything about laptop displays in the list.

Does anyone know which i should choose?

And how do i get back into the choosing monitor sequence ?

thanks,
Nick