This means that the environment variable $DISPLAY isn't set, try 'export
DISPLAY=:0' and see if that helps.

Also, going to a text login screen is what it does by default.  To get it
to boot into a GUI based login, you have to edit /etc/inittab and change
the line:
'id:3:initdefault:' to 'id:5:initdefault:'.

(note the 5 in the second one, instead of 3)
Michael

--
Michael Viron
Registered Linux User #81978