First, thanks to Dave, Ed, Noah, and Michael for advice on domain hosting. RR
doesn't block 80, and I'm going with dyndns.com.

Now I'm running into trouble starting proftpd. I get the error:

Fatal: unable to determine IP address of 'SLATER.columbus.rr.com'.

Looking at the faqs at proftpd.org, I see:

The hosting machine has a poorly configured hostname setup to the point where
the resolver library cannot determine the IP from the name. Solutions
include, fixing the DNS for the domain, fixing the hostname, fixing the
/etc/hosts file. Which one works for you will largely depend on your OS and
exactly what is wrong.

Am I required to have a static ip to start this? Is there some other process
I should be running? I'm not sure what I would put in the /etc/hosts file, or
how to fix the dns.

:-(
Gracias,
Todd