Frans Ketelaars wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 21:24:30 +1100
> Colin Jenkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> >  just finished installing lm8.1, and like others, can't mount the
> >  floppy.
> >  cd and internal zip drive work ok, and I have read all the post I can
> >  find, but nothing seems to work.
> >   the error message I get is:
> >      'could not mount device
> >      mount: /dev/fd0: unknown device'
> >
> >  my /etc/fstab looks like this:
> >
> > /dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
> > none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
> > none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
> > /dev/hda6 /home reiserfs defaults 1 2
> > /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto
>user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0
> > /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto
>user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,sync,exec,codepage=850,noauto 0 0
> > /dev/hdd4 /mnt/zip auto
>user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,sync,exec,codepage=850,noauto 0 0
> > none /proc proc defaults 0 0
> > /dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
> >

> > any hits would be most welcome.:)
> > --
> > Best regards,
> >  Colin                          m
> http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/errata.php3#floppy :
>
> Error scenario: The floppy drive is not accessible for use.
> Why: The PNP_BIOS does not initalize the floppy controller like the BIOS. Because of
>this, you may have difficulty access the drive with applications like mount or dd,
>and will receive errors such as "/dev/fd0: No such device or address" or
>"Input/output error".
> Solution: Boot your kernel with the "nobiospnp" option specified at the boot command
>line.
>
>     -Frans

Colin, here's another workaround : run kdf (K Disk Free), right-click
the floppy-drive (/dev/fd0) and choose the pull-down menu-option :
"mount device". You can even set kdf up to open a file-manager
automatically. personally, I prefer to do it this way, because I've some
game-addicted kids (each with their own user-ID) on my linux-box, and I
don't want them to have that easy acces to the floppy-drive (heavens
only know what they could put in there !).

Kaj Haulrich