On Sun, 2002-01-20 at 15:57, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> On 20 Jan 2002 14:47:27 +1000, Charles Darcy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >     In fact, after I had started 'esd' as a background process from a
> > terminal, a little while later the terminal displayed some sort of error
> > message about Bastille and a 'tmp' directory. Bastille has an option to
> > guard against abuse of the 'tmp' directory, which I enabled when I
> > configured Bastille. Do you think this might be the problem ? If not, do
> > you recall which Bastille setting gave you trouble ?
>
> IIRC, there is a question in the Interactive Bastille setup that says "Would you
> like to set a default-deny on TCP Wrappers and xinetd?" Set this to 'No'.

    I gave it a shot, but still no Gnome sounds.

    Out of interest, what is the connection between TCP Wrappers/xinetd
and Gnome sounds ? Intuitively, they seem unrelated (given the little
understanding I have of each).

    On a slightly different note, each time I try a suggested action to
re-configure some aspect of LM, if the expected effects of the change
aren't immediately apparent, I have been logging out and then logging
back in. If the expected changes are still not apparent, I try shutting
down the machine and re-booting. This habit is essentially a hangover
from Windows, which seemed to require a re-boot whenever any significant
system configuration was performed. Are such actions merely voodoo under
LM (as I hope), or do certain configuration changes require
re-logins/re-boots.