On 22 Jan 2002 14:55:05 +1000, Charles Darcy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-01-20 at 15:57, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> > On 20 Jan 2002 14:47:27 +1000, Charles Darcy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > >     In fact, after I had started 'esd' as a background process from a
> > > terminal, a little while later the terminal displayed some sort of error
> > > message about Bastille and a 'tmp' directory. Bastille has an option to
> > > guard against abuse of the 'tmp' directory, which I enabled when I
> > > configured Bastille. Do you think this might be the problem ? If not, do
> > > you recall which Bastille setting gave you trouble ?
> >
> > IIRC, there is a question in the Interactive Bastille setup that says "Would
> > you like to set a default-deny on TCP Wrappers and xinetd?" Set this to
> > 'No'.
> >

>     I gave it a shot, but still no Gnome sounds.

Try running /usr/sbin/UndoBastille to undo Bastille's changes. I don't know how
clean this undo process is, so you may need to do a fresh reinstall of Mandrake
(since I don't know where this particular setting is held) to remove it. The
next time you run InteractiveBastille, select 'No' for the question. It worked
for me.

>     Out of interest, what is the connection between TCP Wrappers/xinetd
> and Gnome sounds ? Intuitively, they seem unrelated (given the little
> understanding I have of each).

I don't understand it much myself. I was lucky enough to find the root of the
problem only after some weeks of agonising trial-and-error. I assume that the
setting blocks ports/sockets that EsounD requires.

>     On a slightly different note, each time I try a suggested action to
> re-configure some aspect of LM, if the expected effects of the change
> aren't immediately apparent, I have been logging out and then logging
> back in. If the expected changes are still not apparent, I try shutting
> down the machine and re-booting. This habit is essentially a hangover
> from Windows, which seemed to require a re-boot whenever any significant
> system configuration was performed. Are such actions merely voodoo under
> LM (as I hope), or do certain configuration changes require
> re-logins/re-boots.

GNU/Linux only really needs to be rebooted when the core kernel is changed
(modules don't need a reboot). There are commands to restart just about anything
on its own. Some changes need a logout and re-login to come into effect. For
major or core changes, I make it a habit to reboot my machine. For a non-expert,
this is far cleaner and simpler, and is less likely to cause unexpected problems
down the track.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

"I don't think it's right and I think it causes people to make decisions which
are not even in their best interest. A, we're not evil. B, we're not an empire."
-- Steve Ballmer, objecting to Microsoft being called "The Evil Empire"