On Tuesday 22 January 2002 14:14, you wrote:
> VIM? Sorry for the lack of knowledge but I have been running Linux for
> less then 2 days.

vi is a console based text editor...  but since it is not the easiest thing
for a newbie to use, I suggest you do this.

If you open your konqueror file manager and select 'View>Show hidden Files'
you will see a whole lot of files appear in your home directory. These files
all begin with a '.'

Two of those files control your 'environment' as a user. These are
.bash_profile and .bashrc
Any command entered in these files will be executed at startup of your user.
It does not matter which one you use to enter your keyboard command, so let
us assume you want to edit .bashrc

Select it with konqueror file manager and right click on it
Select 'Open with>Text editor'

put the command you wish to execute at user login at the bottom of the file
and save. A backup called .bashrc~ will be created automatically.

Thats all there is to it.

If you want to have a command executed at system start for all users the file
to edit is /etc/profile or /etc/rc.local
These are system files so your user does not have authority to change them
(unlike Windows, Linux has security), so to change these files you must do so
as user root. There is no need to actually log on as user root (logging on as
root is not encouraged in the linux world), just open your kmenu and select
'Applications>File Tools>File Manager(Super User mode)
after giving the root password you can then browse and edit files as root.

(Warning- unwise editing of system  files could seriously screw up your
system)

You will soon learn that absolutlely everything about setting up a Linux
system can be done by editing text files. For many functions there are nice
user friendly GUI's, but all they do is edit these files. So when you ask a
question some people will come back and say 'use this Gui', while others will
say 'edit this file'

Have fun

derek