On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Anke & Max wrote:
> > Is there a way to setup up Linux so that it restricts access to all
> > internet sites that I don't specify? Can this be done an a
> > user/usergroup setting. Example. I only want some people to only be able
> > to access. www.cnet.com (and all child sites www.cnet.com/*.* ) and I
> > want management to be able to access 5 or 6 more sites.  Can I do this
> > with a Linux box between my network and my dsl router? Can I also set it
> > up to had out ip addresses? There is windows software (surf control)
> > that does this same thing but it cost around 2 grand and then you have
> > to have another win2k server setup so all of a sudden my cost for this
> > little task is around 5 thousand.

Sounds like my home network and the proxy is only to keep my kids from
hitting stuff they don't need to see because they mis-typed
cartoonnetwork.com.  Anyway, a Mandrake box can do your DHCP for you, just
click the Internet Connection Sharing wizard in the control panel and when
you are done your Mandrake box will server DHCP, act as a cahcing DNS
machine and once you set up Squid it will also be your proxy server.
Samba will be your friend.  You can set up groups and do restrictions.
Have some patience with it when setting up, but it should do what you
mention above.

-Scott