On Saturday 26 January 2002 13:34, Evert van den Bos wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I would like to install my HP 970 cxi printer in Mandrake but I want to
> assign it to a tcp/ip port. My printer is not attached to the Mandrake box
> but to a freesco box acting as a printer server. In windows this is fairly
> simple. I just install the printer as if it was attached to my PC
> (ingnoring messages the device is not found). Then I change the assigned
> lpt1 port to the TCP/IP port ([EMAIL PROTECTED]). This port is created with
> the installment of an AXIS driver. It works great in Windows and I would
> like to do the same in Mandrake. But I have no idea how, and didn't find
> any clues on the web yet.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Evertb

If you add your printer using the CUPS web tool
(http://localhost:631/printers)  you will see one of the options is to use
'Internet Printing Protocol', and then on the next page it shows some example
addresses
socket://hostname:9100
socket://hostname

I've never needed to use it, but this looks like what you need.

HTH

derek