On Mon, 28 Jan 2002 23:06:17 -0800 (PST)
Pauljames Dimitriu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> revealed these words to me:

> I'm sure this is a very easy question to answer and
> I'm being very brain deaded about it....
>
> How do you copy a file to a floppy drive via terminal?
>  Is it cp "filename" /mnt/floppy?  Everytime I try
> this and I do an ls in the /mnt/floppy directory, it
> shows up.  However when I bring it to a Winblows
> machine, I can't see the file.
>
> Help???

you have to mount the floppy first ( something like mounting a CD). mounting places
the 'mounted space' over the 'mounting point'. Whatever files in the 'mount point' is
hidden until the 'mounted space' is unmounted. as of linux kernel 2.4.x, IIRC, you can
use a mount point multiple times. to illustrate the point, assuming that you have
test.txt on the directory /mnt/bogus and you will mount the windows partition (drive
c:) on that directory. here is the sample output

[root@Ronin bogus]# pwd
/mnt/bogus
[root@Ronin bogus]# ls
test.txt
[root@Ronin bogus]# mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/bogus
[root@Ronin bogus]# ls
test.txt
[root@Ronin bogus]# cd ..
[root@Ronin mnt]# cd bogus
[root@Ronin bogus]# ls
autoexec.001*      command.com*  msdos.---*      scandisk.log*  videorom.bin*
autoexec.bat*      config.sys*   msdos.sys*      setuplog.old*  windows/
AUTOEXEC.BAT.bak*  detlog.txt*   My Documents/   setuplog.txt*
autoexec.nai*      dosime.sys*   netlog.txt*     setupxlg.txt*
bootlog.prv*       Downloads/    Program Files/  suhdlog.dat*
bootlog.txt*       io.sys*       recycled/       system.1st*
[root@Ronin bogus]# umount /dev/hda1
umount: /mnt/bogus: device is busy
[root@Ronin bogus]# cd ..
[root@Ronin mnt]# umount /dev/hda1
[root@Ronin mnt]# cd bogus
[root@Ronin bogus]# ls
test.txt

notice that when i mounted the drive c to the current directory, i was still able to
list the contents of the /mnt/bogus. but when i moved to the parent directory and
changed back, the listing shows the contents of my drive c. test.txt is still on the
/mnt/bogus under the windows drive and was again visible when i unmounted my drive c.

am i talking sense? ;-)

ciao!

--

"Programming, an artform that fights back."

Anuerin G. Diaz
Design Engineer
Millennium Software, Incorporated
2305 B West Tower, Philippines Stocks Exchange Center,
Exchange Road, Ortigas Center, Pasig City

Tel# 638-3070 loc. 72
Fax# 638-3079