        From:   Derek Jennings [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
        Sent:   Sunday, January 27, 2002 12:37 PM
        To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject:        RE: [newbie] How to work PCMCIA

        Well first check you have rpm kernel-pcmcia-cs loaded.

        Next check your pcmcia cards are able to be recognised. In a root
terminal
        type
        probe
        You should  then be told which model of pcmcia bus adapter you have
fitted,
        and how many sockets.

        Next open Mandrake Control Cente>Hardware>Network cards
        Is your pcmcia card shown? If it is and a kernel module is shown
then your
        card almost certainly is already working, you just need to assign IP
addresses
        etc.

        If it is not listed then look for /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia
        The first line of this file should read
        PCMCIA=yes
        the second line will probably say
        PCIC=i82365

        Next take a look at /etc/modules.conf

        It should contain the line
        pre-install pcmcia_core CARDMGR_OPTS=-f  /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia
start

        If that is all OK then your computer should automatically recognise
the pcmcia
        card on boot and insert the correct module.

        Note : Netconf will NOT show the module. That does not mean it is
not working.
        You can still use Netconf to set IP address etc.  HardDrake WILL
show the
        module

        HTH

        derek

        >===== Original Message From YUKKI <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =====
        >Hi all
        >
        >i wanna use PCMCIA for 3com 5C589C with mandrake 8.1 at Vaio C1XE
        >
        >but it's not working now....
        >what i have to check it??
        >

        >*?`?`*?`?`*?`?`*?`?`*?`?`*?`?`*
        >     Yukki (Yuki Ikuno)
        >   Sing a song is my life
        >  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        >*?`?`*?`?`*?`?`*?`?`*?`?`*?`?`*

         << File: message.footer >>

This email and any files sent with it are intended only for the named
recipient. If you are not the named recipient please telephone/email
the sender immediately. You should not disclose the content or
take/retain/distribute any copies.

Norwich Union Life & Pensions Limited
Registered Office 2 Rougier Street
York YO90 1UU
Registered in England Number 3253947
A member of the Norwich Union Marketing Group
which is regulated by the Personal Investment Authority.
Member of the Association of British Insurers.

For further Enquires 01603 622200