HI,

I wrote:

> > In the KDE Control Center it would seem that hd is in three
> > sectors /dev/hda5 ext3 3.36 (mount point: /)  99.9% full!

Thanks for the info received on what to do.  I immediatly found that i had been
keeping copies of the CDs I'd been burning, and fixed that, which took care of
the immediate problem.

Anuerin G. Diaz wrote:
> seems like the allocated space for the / partition was too
> small. this happened to me when i allocated just 100MB to that
> partition and /tmp was heavily used.

I think it may be big enough if i maintain it well.  And am using this oportunbity to
learn
do this. Question:  Coming from a Windows env. I am familiar with easily knowing which
file is on
which storage device.  I understand that it is nice to have a virtual environment - to
hell with
knowing what devices run it, however as the administrator i need to be able to know
what is
on each device.  How can i check that?

> first thing to do is to
> make sure that no unnecessary files are hogging the space in
> /tmp.

I have posted of the contents tof /temp below, using $ ls -al what might
I need to explore further there?

> there are tools out there but i have no experience using them.
> the route i always take is to re-install Mandrake, use expert
> install (its really easy if you pay attention and read what's
> in there), and pay extra attention when it comes to the part
> that you partition your hard disk.

Hmm, this does seem complex as I did not set up my own machine.  I am tempted to give
it a go
For learning on another machine, not this one which I work on!

~~~

On Monday 28 January 2002 12:18 pm, Erylon wrote:

> Since your hda5 is larger than 3 gig, I would hazard a guess
> that your /var/log files are filling it.  Check your /var/log
> and see if it isn't really large (500 K would be about the max
> it should be).  If that's where the problem lies, you can
> safely delete all the gzipped log files, and edit your
> /etc/logrotate.conf to prevent it from happening again.
>  Remember, the log files belong to user root.
>
> Just a guess,
>
> e.

Thanks for that.  will do some pruning.  I will also explore the /etc/logrotate.conf
I can see that as the user i have authority to delete some files but not others.  I
can
go into root and do it all but is that wise?  Some of the files have permission for an
admin group?  Should I as root give myself admin authority?  This is
getting a bit off topic but I d be interested in a discussion on how to work with the
root / user potential of Linux.  Perhaps there is a good article on it somewhere?

Walter

~~~
597 walter@psybernet:/tmp (03:53:32)
$ ls -al
total 88
drwxrwxrwt   13 root     root         4096 Jan 31 03:41 ./
drwxr-xr-x   18 root     root         4096 Jan 14 03:45 ../
-rw-------    1 walter   walter        221 Jan 20 16:34 dcop245ZXu
-rw-------    1 walter   walter        221 Jan 22 22:57 dcop2nylRB
-rw-------    1 walter   walter        221 Jan 30 04:39 dcop8x61gw
-rw-------    1 walter   walter        221 Jan 23 16:15 dcopaJPjFH
-rw-------    1 walter   walter        221 Jan 20 22:35 dcopcavrYu
-rw-------    1 walter   walter        221 Jan 30 15:24 dcopqdJe7u
-rw-------    1 walter   walter        223 Jan 28 04:16 dcopwMSndN
drwxrwxrwt    2 xfs      xfs          4096 Jan 30 15:24 .font-unix/
drwx------    2 walter   walter       4096 Jan 26 01:11 .gftp-walter/
-rw-------    1 walter   walter        354 Jan 29 05:07 gtkrc-Q0p13A
drwxrwxrwt    2 root     root         4096 Jan 30 15:24 .ICE-unix/
drwx------    9 walter   walter       4096 Jan 31 03:27 kde-walter/
drwx------    2 root     root         4096 Jan 25 06:01 ksocket-root/
drwx------    2 walter   walter       4096 Jan 31 03:41 ksocket-walter/
drwx------    3 walter   walter       4096 Jan 30 15:25 mcop-walter/
srwxrwxrwx    1 walter   walter          0 Jan 31 03:31 medusa-idled-service=
drwx------    2 walter   walter       4096 Jan 30 15:25 orbit-walter/
srwxrwxrwx    1 walter   walter          0 Jan 30 15:56
OSL_PIPE_501_SingleOfficeIPC_1666104904=
drwx------    2 walter   walter       4096 Jan 28 13:58 .sawfish-walter/
drwxrwxrwx    3 walter   walter       4096 Jan 30 04:21 soffice.tmp/
-r--r--r--    1 root     walter         11 Jan 30 15:24 .X0-lock
drwxrwxrwt    2 root     root         4096 Jan 30 15:24 .X11-unix/
597 walter@psybernet:/tmp (03:53:32)