Question about partitioning..  Friend has brought his pc to me a few times
to install Linux on it with mandrake 8.1 being the most recent.  Now his
comp
has a 20gig and a 600meg drive.  The 20gig is master and is broken up into
a 4gig partition and the remaining is a windows data drive.  I used
partition magic
6.0 to resize the roughly 15 gig partition down to something like 8 or 9gig
so we will have enough to install Linux.  after the resizing is finished we
booted into windows
to make sure that his data is still there and the old E drive is down to the
proper size
and it is fine.

Now on to installing Linux.  I break the remaining free space using
mandrakes
partitioner during the install.  3gig or so for /, 256M for swap and
remaining
for /home.  LM81 installs just FINE (solo-1 audio not supported yet not
withstanding).
Problem is, when he boots windows now his old E drive is GONE.  Not there..
All we have is C and D.

Since we need the drive for windows (accounting software is there as well
as some games Linux does not run yet) I end up having to kill the Linux ,
make a fat-32
out of the free space and join with the old partition (all this in partition
magic)
to get his drives back.

What are my options to getting his system working.   I fear it is because
Linux
makes that extra space into a primary partition.  and that confuses windows
death...

Is my only option to resize the C drive to a larger size, kill the "E"
partition
and install Linux in that  remaining extended partition??

Just looking for ideas here.

--
I have yet to meet a C compiler that is more friendly and easier to use than
eating soup with a knife.