Hey - I actually know the answer to this one!  My fingers have also been
burned!

Being a good linux installer, you created separate partitions for /,
swap and home.  That's 3.  Windows already had 2, so that makes 5.  With
windblows, that's 1 too many.  Four is "as many as anyone could possibly
want" right?  Yes Mr.Gates sir!

I don't know how version dependant this is, but I've certainly seen it
with 2000.  After attempting a similar setup, jumping into the W2K disk
manager shows 5 partitions, but it gets the sizes hopelessly wrong.

I was able to reverse this by blowing away the linux partitions using
the 2K disk manager without losing the windoze data.

So, as far as I know, your choices are to install Linux with just / and
swap, or on another disk.

Brian