On Saturday 02 February 2002 02:16, marvin wrote:
> KDE seems to take a lot of memory.
>
> I have a 128MB machine, it`s a pure workstation with no servers.
> Mandrake 8.1, KDE 2.2.1. I have :-
>
> Once it`s booted up and I use top, I see 120MB in use and 4.6MB swap
> used.
>
> Yes, I know ram is cheap but I`m wondering why so much ram is used.

Short answer: Linux always uses all the RAM you have on your system.
Whatever is available is used for caching. Don't worry about it.

Anyone feel like giving the long answer?
--
Michel Clasquin, D Litt et Phil (Unisa)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]/unisa.ac.za   http://www.geocities.com/clasqm

All in all, you're just another brick in the wall- Pink Floyd

  • ... Craig Williamson (ENZ)
  • ... Edvard Wikström
  • ... Marek
  • ... Amish