Thank you Michel,

I downloaded star office in binary format from Sun's  website, and as you
said installing it was as easy as clicking on a .exe

But since this was brought up, would any of the list gurus please kindly post
a short list clearifying how do u know how to install the diffirent types of
files  ?

I mean something like a small list :
- file.rpm   will be installed by the rpm - <option>  command
- file.bin with " bla bla command"
- when to use the "./" , when do u need to chmod the file before u install
...etc

Many thanks in advance to any volunteer :-)