On Tue, 05 Feb 2002 01:52:34 -0700, FemmeFatale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> I've downloaded & installed Ximian's Gnome product.  Before that I used some
> default Gnome that came with the mandrake installs CD's.  Both times, I've had
> the problem where it (Gnome) for some reason cannot find my "host" address.
> It seems any other Window Manager works fine.  Gnome even connects to the Net
> (at least LICQ & Gicq do).  But when i load the Gnome desktop, it complains it
> cannot find:
>
> nightshade.telusplanet.net
>
> Yet any other WM is fine with that address.  I am at a loss for an answer.  Is
> this a common issue with Gnome?

I had this problem about a year ago. Open /etc/hosts in an editor (as root) and
make sure the following (or similar) lines are present:

  127.0.0.1     localhost.localdomain localhost
  127.0.0.1     nightshade.telusplanet.net

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

                                133+ w1nd0z d00d