In the dim dark ages, I used to use cpio for backing
up whole partitions.  Caveat is that anything that
uses real disk location information (e.g. Oracle
RDBMS's rowid being actuall cylinder, sector, track
information) probably won't survive unless you restore
to an identical device / partition - hence OK for
backup purposes.

HTH,
Ron.

--- Randy Kramer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Rick wrote:
> > currently, my Linux installation is on an 8GB hard
> drive. I would like
> > to put it on a 20GB hard drive. I know how to
> partition the drive. My
> > question is simply, once the 20GB drive is ready,
> can I just do a straight
> > copy of the existing filesystems to the new drive?
> Then I would connect
> > the new drive as /dev/hda.
> >
> > Would this work? Or is there something special I
> have to do?
>
> This answer won't be as helpful as I'd like it to
> be, but: just copying
> won't quite work.  You need to copy using something
> that will copy and
> preserve all the special things like:
>
>    * hard and soft links
>    * permissions and ownership
>    * hidden files
>
> I know this can be done, but don't know the best
> approach.  There may be
> options for cp that deal with all of this, or maybe
> dd is a better
> choice.  One approach is to back everything up using
> tar (again with the
> right options) and then restore it on your new disk.
>  (You can even
> create the tar in a partition of the new drive that
> you (temporarily)
> create just for this purpose (I think).
>
> Randy Kramer
>
> > Want to buy your Pack or Services from