On 06 Feb 2002 00:22:20 -0600, Dave Sherman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-02-05 at 21:51, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> > You can give all GTK+ (including GNOME) apps anti-aliasing with gdkxft
> > (http://gdkxft.sourceforge.net). It's a bit of a hack, but it does a decent
> > job.
>
> How did you get this to work? I am running Mandrake 8.1, and I see in my
> .xsession-errors file that libgdkxft.so.0 is preloading, but the
> $LD_PRELOAD environment variable is apparently being cleared (I get
> nothing when I echo the variable).

Firstly, make sure that you have the latest version (currently 1.5) installed
correctly. It will install a GNOME COntrol Centre capplet, allowing you to tweak
your gdkxft settings. For best results, set GNOME to use scalable (e.g. Truetype
or Postscript) fonts.

You may have to run your apps in the format "LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libgdkxft.so
appname" to get anti-aliasing working. If this is the case, place the line
"export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libgdkxft.so" in your /etc/profile (or equivalent)
to set it as a permanent environment variable. If this doesn't work, add it to
/etc/X11/gdm/gnomerc.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

                Windows 2000, Users Zilch.