Kevin Old wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have an issue with some software licensing and thought I'd be able to find
> help here.
>
> I have setup a network for my church - Win2k Adv. Server - Clients are Win
> 98SE
>
> To keep from having to purchase a Win Server license to handle more clients
> I was wondering if we were to setup a Mandrake box to be the domain
> controller (instead of the Win2k server) and use the Win2k server for
> another client if we would still be legal accessing information on the Win2k
> box through the Mandrake server from other clients?  Still with me?  Sorry
> that was kind of confusing.
>
> Basically I want to have client machines access the Win2k box only if they
> need to, but instead of the clients accessing them the clients would contact
> the Mandrake box and it would be passed to the Win2k server.  Can I get
> around licensing stuff like this...or am I asking for a law suit?
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin

> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Technically, it is a single connection to the win2k server if you are
using a linux box as a gateway.  If you read the server license
carefully you may find it says

_simultaneous_ connections

and if it does, you have one _simultaneous_ connection.
  However, the text and interpretation of that license could be changed
at any time (yes, while you are using it--you agreed to that when you
agreed to the EULA), and I would expect that hole to be closed soon.
Micrtosoft is on an all-out campaign to crush linux wherever they find it.

Civileme