Damian G wrote:

> Hello once more, everyone. I'd like to hear some opinions about this.. i'm
> completely open so suggestions and comments about it... i know i need them..
>
> The howto's i've found out there do not clear all of my doubts..
>
> i've read on this list that 2.4.17 is a pretty efficient/fast kernel that
> solves those virtual memory problems older 2.4 kernels had.
> so i went to kernel.org and downloaded the source for it.
>
> my OS is pretty much the way it comes in mandrake 8.1 -the download cd's (
> 2.4.8 kernel )
>
> now... what i'm i supposed to know before i start with this one? i'm going
> to back up
> my whole /boot before starting... but is there any other stuff i have to
> upgrade
> along with the kernel? any parameters to the ./configure ? is using a simple
> "make" allright?
>
> TIA very much, again. ;o)
>
> Damian.

> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

What is your objective? The kernel from kernel.org will not have the
mandrake patches in them. If your want a new kernel why not use one make
for Mandrake? Go to a cooker mirror site and down load the latest cooker
(beta code) kernel rpms. You will also need to download the latest
iptable rpm if you use iptables. I have installed kernel-2.4.17-14mdk
and it works fine for me. But your mileage may vary. DO NOT use mandrake
update to install the kernel rpm. There is an article on the Mandrake
forum about this. You can KEEP your old kernel on your system so you can
have a fall back kernel if the new kernel has problems. If you need
additional help in this area I will tell you how I did it. It is very
easy to do. Also if you want to compile a kernel, I will explain how I
recompiled kernel-2.4.17-14mdk. I did not gain anything much by
recompiling it except knowledge. Let me know if you would like
additional help. HTH
Charles