On Tue, 12 Feb 2002 23:32:57 -0500, Bryan Tyson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 February 2002 17:00, you wrote:
>
> > By the way, what is the difference between Cups and lpr ? Sorry for
> > the stupid question : ), but I am a little bit confused with them.
> > For me they seem to be totally different printing systems. Why do
> > some programs use one instead of another ?
>
> Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I have developed a theory on my
> Mandrake system that lpr is somehow "aliased" to cups.

LPR is an ancient printing technology originally designed in the 1970s (IIRC)
for line printers. Until only a few years ago, it was the the default printing
system on most distributions. LPR has many shortcomings, and many would say that
it lived far past its use-by date.

CUPS (Common Unix Printing System) is an entirely new system that has replaced
CUPS in most *NIX distributions. It is fully network and Internet aware, and is
far more suitable for today's printers that LPR ever was.

Mandrake offers both LPR and CUPS (and a few others, I think), but the default
is CUPS. There is no need to use LPR, as everything can be done with CUPS. For
best results, install the xpp package, and then instruct your applications to
use 'xpp' as their printing command. XPP is a Mandrake package that allows extra
control over your prinitng.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

"The linux kernel has had an interesting release pattern: usually the .0 release
was actually fairly good (there's almost always something stupid, but on the
whole not really horrible).  And every single time so far, .1 has been worse. It
usually takes until something like .5 until it has caught up and surpassed the
stability of .0 again." -- Linus Torvalds