Greetings:

I recently installed Mandrake 8.1 on my son's machine which consists of a
120Mhz processor and 84meg of ram. It now operates deadly slow. My
understanding has been that one advantage of linux is that it runs fine on
older equipment ; that it doesn't require the horsepower, so to speak, that
other OS's like windows does.

Prior to installing Linux on my son's machine he was running windows 95. That
moved right along. He likes linux but it is dreadfully slow.

I am running a celeron @ 700Mhz with 512 Meg of ram. The speed is much better
but still slower than windows ME, which I migrated from.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. Since I began this journey, I can't
seem to get away from my computer. Though the learning is slow, I am learning
and enjoying experimenting. On the other hand I have 3 boys in school, 3
machines networked together, and I need a stable system with reasonable speed.

Any comments would be helpful. Tnx

Jeff - K1LE - SECT