John Richard Smith wrote:

> Hello George,
>
> Thanks,
>
> I am afraid there is no /etc/lilo.conf, drakeX failed to create one.
> So, just to prove a point to myself I did LM8.1 re-install all over again,
> but this time I insisted drakX install Lilo instead of Grub. The result is
> absolutely identicle.

as in you can boot w2k and not boot into linux? something is getting
trash bad like.

> Maybe, I thought,  I seem to remember reading somewhere, that
> one of the bugbears of windows is that it insists on being the
> first partition on any hard drive.

w3.11, w4wg3.11, yes. w98, w98, no. on this and another box, w98 is on
second partition. w2k, me, nt, no personal experience with, do not know
or recall any post with statements to effect.

so... read over next before doing. i erred at start of last, this i
have stepped thru and should be correct.

+++
boot lm8.1 cd, at start screen, press 'f1' function, at command line
text prompt, enter 'rescue', press enter.

after boot, at command line;

  cd /etc
  cp fstab fstab.org
  vi fstab

insert line;

  /dev/hda6 / ext2 defaults 1 1

[note: this sets up for following mount]

write and quit vi.

  mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/disk
  cd /mnt/disk/etc
  cp fstab fstab.org
  vi fstab

with exception of ' / ' for /dev/hda6,
check to be sure that spaces are before '/' as;

  /dev/hda6 / ext2 defaults 1 1
  /dev/hda1 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2
  none /dev/pts devpts mode = 0620 0 0
  none /dev/shm tmps defaults 0 0
  /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,exec, \
     codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0
  /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom2 auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,exec, \
     codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0
  /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto user,iocharset=iso8859-2,umask=0,sync, \
     codepage-850,noauto 0 0
  /dev/fd1 /mnt/floppy2 auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,syn,exec, \
     codepage=850,noauto 0 0
  /dev/hda7 swap swap defaults 0 0

[note: '\' denotes line continued on next line]

to gain ready access to other partitions, insert these lines;

  /dev/hda8 /hda/8 ext2 defaults 1 2
  /dev/hda3 /w2k/c ntfs defaults 0 0
  /dev/hda5 /w2k/d ntfs defaults 0 0
  /dev/hda9 /w2k/e ntfs defaults 0 0
  /dev/hda10 /w2k/f ntfs defaults 0 0
  /dev/hda11 /w2k/g ntfs defaults 0 0

write and quit vi.

  cp fstab fstab.001

  cp lilo.conf lilo.conf.org
  vi lilo.conf

edit lilo.conf to something like following;

  boot=/dev/hda
  map=/boot/map
  install=/boot/boot.b
  default=md81
  keytable=/boot/us.klt
  lba32
  prompt
  timeout=100
  message=/boot/message-graphic
  menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
  image=/boot/vmlinuz
      label=md81
      root=/dev/hda6
      vga=788
      read-only
  image=/boot/vmlinuz
      label=failsafe
      root=/dev/hda6
      append=" failsafe"
      read-only
  other=/dev/hda3
      label=w2k
      table=/dev/hda
+++

on what part of earth do you reside?

tc,hago.

.
--
 think green...  save a tree, save a life, save time, save bandwidth,
  save storage.   send email,   text/plain - disable pgp/gpg/geek code