hi,

This is what I found in Soundcard in HardDrake:

Vendor: ESS Technology

Model: ES1969 Solo-1 Audiodrive
This is the
Kernel Module: snd-card-es1938
Bus Type: PCI

And system prompts this when I try to open KMenu->Multimedia->Sound->Audio
Mixer:

Not able to open audio device.
Please check that you have permission to /dev/mixer
and make sure you have sound support compiled into your kernel

I am root running all these.

>From GNome Control Center, I could only see 2 tick box for "Enable
Soundserver Startup" and "sounds for events". And they ARE ticked.

Doesn't what I see in HardDrake mean the sound support is already compiled
into my kernel? And there is no "mixer" in the /dev directory.