Hello everyone,

        I am back to Mandrake Linux after a short hiatus.  I had to reinstall again
due to what turned out to be errors on my hard drive.  I think I have them
isolated now & if so I should have a stable system.

        It already looks much nicer on my KDS 17" flat screen monitor.  Mandrake
handled it combined with my old TNT card and gave me all graphics
resolutions, which is a remarkable change from my old generic 14".

        I of course lost all my email and web bookmarks this time.  I have decided
to do occasional backups of these files to my windows drive just in case.

        I learned somewhere that a better working kernel than I am using (stock 8.1
2.4.8-26(?)) is 2.4.8.34(?) which is supposed to fix some security issues,
virtual memory, etc.

        I had an email with directions for upgrading my kernel.  Actually it was for
something else, it was to someone who had just reinstalled and was wanting to
do something else (update software manager lists?).  But the person was
directed to first install the newer kernel.  I think the message went
something like:

                First go to someplace.addy.outthere and download filex.afile and
follow the
directions on http:www.webaddy.ady to install it alongside your old kernel.
Then go to mandrake update(?) and get the latest whatnot.files.

                And _then_ go to nVidia's site (or mandrakeuseronline?) and get the
latest
drivers for kernel 2.4.8-34(?) and install according to the directions at
http:anothersiteIforgot.ady.

                And _then_ go do whatever the original person wanted to do because the
computer is now updated.

        Of course since I lost the message(s) that is about all I remember now that
I find myself in the same situation.  Anyone care to send help?

        This brings up my other question:  Is there a website with important
archived information from this list for people with faulty memories (& hard
drives) such as myself?

        Thank you,
--
        Wes Gregg       [EMAIL PROTECTED]