I am trying to understand what you want. This isn't especially clear to me as
another newbie but i guess the question you want answered is can "mail" talk
direct to a SMTP server out of your box. I am probably way out in left feild as
i understand that on a standard setup this is the domain of postfix (or postfix
pretending it is "sendmail"). The question still remains though... can mail
address a SMTP server on the net directly. In my situation i get my mail as POP3
(with fetchmail) and send it as SMTP to my ISP (preconfigured using sendmail).

I agree Gerald's reply doesn't address my understanding of this question either.
More info please Gerald!

Meanwhile Jim, i am off to reread man mail, man mailaddr, man sendmail, all the
*.cf files in /etc/postfix/, and scan the HOWTO's. I am interested in any
replies you get as well.

My interest stems from looking at writing my mail offline (while my partner is
on the phone, which exceeds the time i am usuallly online). I want to post it to
the bowels of my box and have it post on from there from something in my
/etc/ppp/ip-up.local file.

Michael

--
"The question is rather: if we ever succeed in making a mind 'of nuts and
bolts', how will we know we have succeeded?

"It will tell us."
-- Barry Kort