FTP thru Linksys router

I have 2 computers sharing a DSL connection through a Linksys router.
This works great for web browsing, but I cannot seem to upload via ftp
(I'm talking about a remote site, not between machines on the local
network). I can list and get, but not put. If I dial in via modem I can
put with no problem, which is why I think it has something to do with
the router. Does anyone know what my problem is? I spent hours looking
around the Net and failed to find the answer.

Let me emphasize I am not trying to open a port for incoming ftp
requests. I want to send files to my Earthlink file space via ftp.

Thanks for any advice.