I DL'd and upgraded with the MDK 8.2 beta4 cd-ISOs yesterday on a working
8.0 installation.

        I was able to log in as root from the graphic login screen one time.  After
that I tried to log in as root, ROOT, and Root, getting a "login failed"
message.  Same result from the command line.
        I was able to log in as a user, and su to root using the same password that
did not work for root.
        As su, I did "passwd root" and entered a password.  Didn't help with root,
worked fine with su.
        I thought the su and root passwords were the same?  Or was the login failing
because there was no user named root somehow?

        I'm fixed now, I did an install to get rid of the upgrade, since there were
several problems.  But I would still like input on how to fix this should it
happen again.

                Fred