If anyone needs extra confirmation that virii are possible under Linux,
you might want to pay attention to a thread going on this week over on
the [EMAIL PROTECTED] mail list.  Someone has written a Virus HOWTO
for Linux, and the maillist is discussing whether they should publish
it.

The discussion is all in "good taste", with points being made related to
not attempting to achieve security through obscurity and so forth.

Here's an excerpt from a post by David Merrill (actually, I quoted
almost the entire post):

<quote>
Okay, there's disagreement on the Virus HOWTO. Here's what we'll do.
Alexander, you post your html on your website, or let me know and I'll
post it on mine.

Everyone interested in resolving the issue will read the document.
If you haven't read it, you can't offer an intelligent opinion.

Then, we can discuss the *specific* problems, if any, and find
solutions. As things stand, there is enough disagreement that we
should not publish it as is, but should not abandon it either. We
should identify any specific problems, Alexander will deal with them,
and we can move on. Please? :-)

We cannot expose the LDP to legal risks. That means we need a
strong disclaimer and an orientation that is at least equally about
protection, IMO. And there is strong sentiment from some people that
we *not* publish something primarily oriented toward helping black
hats. Alexander, if you're comfortable with making sure it doesn't
read that way, I think we will have little or no resistance to
publishing it.

--
David C. Merrill
</quote>