Hi Paul

There is a way recovering lost/destroyed partition table. When you
are done with your partitioning and installing necessary OS'es, do
'fdisk -l /dev/hdX' from command line.With Linux fdisk, not the DOS one
(replace X with a for ide1, b ide2 etc.). Then write the output down or
print it. That way you have something to start with if the tables get
"lost" again. Remember to update the info if you modify the partitions
after installation. For recovery you have to have somekind of media to
run Linux from, a rescue floppy or rescue-CD. For example the Mandrake
installation CD includes rescue mode IIRC. That is of course if the BIOS
supports bootable CD-ROMs.

I have used this method couple of times with success, once Window$
decided it's not happy with current partitions and ate the partition
table. So I booted Linux (with floppy) from the other hard disk and
restored the partition table with the info provided by fdisk.

The important sections from fdisk -l output are Device, Boot, Start, End,
Id and System. 'man fdisk' for additional info.

Cheers,
J.