On Thursday 14 March 2002 00:25, David wrote:
> I need to re-install OS.  Can I do so without having to re-install all my
> apps?
>
> Is it possible to save some of my setting?
>
> If it matters my partitions table is as follows:
>
> Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hda8               489992    299049    165643  65% /
> none                     79456         0     79456   0% /dev/shm
> /dev/hda11             7218432   3329464   3522288  49% /home
> /dev/hda10             3020140    844508   2022216  30% /usr

Since most apps are in /usr, your apps may well survive the reinstall (unless
you reformat /dev/hda10, of course!) so long as you install the same
libraries etc.  No guarantees, though. There may be some things in /bin or
/sbin that will be broken, but my guess is that it's unlikely - these are
usually system thingies that will be reinstalled.

Some apps may be in /opt, so you should back them up first, and copy them to
your new /opt (no problems with dependencies there, since, if I've RTFMed
correctly, /opt is for self-contained apps that don't follow the normal Linux
tree structure).

> Also what is that partition @ mnt point "/dev/shm"?  I didn't put that
> there.

Beats me - /dev is always full of mysterious stuff!  But since it's all
hardware-related, it shouldn't make any difference to a reinstall.

Robin