Thanks for your comments. I've been surfing for more details on these WinTV cards...
quite a variety it seems, but very scant on whether or not they can decode a
terrestrial
channel by simply plugging an ariel lead into the back and tuning them. I have seen
there
are several drivers available tho for the range so that doesn't seem to be a problem.
Also it seems you have to make sure you get one for the UK transmission system [PAL]
which
seems to limit you, for some reason, to a mono audio signal and also no wide-screen
mode
reception, unless I read it wrong? The US-spec cards seem to have a multitude of extra
features on them.

Comments welcome until this is sorted ;-)

magnet