"Barran, Richard" wrote:

> Morning all,
>
> I've received a very interesting "Mandrake Community Newsletter" this
> morning. I'm including here the two most relevant paragraphs:
>
> "
> Even though all of us here at MandrakeSoft are excited about the
> upcoming release, we've also been distracted by financial concerns.
> Despite continuous good reviews in the press; despite having millions
> of users throughout the world; despite producing an award-winning Linux
> distribution that is a solid competitor to both UNIX and Window$, the
> Mandrake Linux distribution's short-term future is in jeopardy due to a
> simple factor: money.
>
> As a company, we make our revenue by selling packaged versions of the
> distribution and by delivering services such as consulting, training,
> etc. -- but our development costs and community-based services are not
> yet covered by income. It is estimated that we will "break even" by the
> end of 2002, but it is unlikely that MandrakeSoft can remain unchanged
> during these next few months without drastically cutting costs unless
> additional revenue is generated quickly.
> "
>
> The newsletter then goes on to urge people to sign up to Mandrake Club ASAP.
> I received a newsletter from the Club yesterday which also hinted at
> "financial troubles".
> I haven't seen this mentioned yet by anyone on either this list or on the
> expert list. Is this a bit of scaremongering or is Mandrake really in dire
> straits?
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard
>
> PS Here follows a short message from my employer's legal department...

> This e-mail and its attachments are intended for the above named
> recipient(s) only and are confidential and may be privileged.
> If they have come to you in error you must take no action based
> on them, nor must you copy or disclose them or any part of
> their contents to any person or organisation; please notify the
> sender immediately and delete this e-mail and its attachments from
> your computer system.
>
> Please note that Internet communications are not necessarily secure
> and may be changed, intercepted or corrupted. We advise that
> you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us
> and we will not accept any liability for any such changes,
> interceptions or corruptions.
>
> Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and its
> attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping
> with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they
> are actually virus free.
>
> Copyright in this e-mail and attachments created by us belongs
> to Littlewoods.
>
> Littlewoods takes steps to prohibit the transmission of offensive,
> obscene or discriminatory material.  If this message contains
> inappropriate material please forward the e-mail intact to
> [...]

As a member of the club I receive a newsletter regularly. The last one
said in part  :

This time we aren't asking for sweat or blood - all it takes to assure the development
of
Mandrake Linux in the future is
the equivalent of one or two cinema tickets a month in the form of the "Mandrake Club"
membership fee.

Explain to them that they will not only receive the pleasure of assuring the future of
the
Mandrake Linux distribution, but
they will even receive some

 special "club privileges":

 - Club-only download of commercial applications.

 - A place in MandrakeSoft's "Hall of Fame".

 - Possibility to ask questions (and receive answers)  in "Ask Mandrake" series.

 - Direct trading of MandrakeSoft shares.

 - Special discounts on third party software  (coming soon).

There are millions of Mandrake Linux users out there, but "only" 2000 have joined the
club so
far. You are one of these 2000
people, and nobody can

explain the reason why you did it better than you can.

I feel that I would have to pay much more by following the MS route. I believe I might
easily
be forced
to pay out more and more as MS dictate rather than when I want or need to.
By supporting Mandrake I feel I am at least putting something back for all of the
stuff that's
out there.
If they do fold it wont have cost me much anyway and Linux will still go on.
If they succeed then we all benefit from a good distribution.