I am only printing with Cups and it works under both KDE and Gnome.  Under Gnome,
usually the print dialog comes up with "generic printer" or something like that.  I
simply select the name of my printer from the dropdown list.  I do happen to have both
KDE and Gnome loaded, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Joe