On Saturday 16 March 2002 20:07, damian wrote:
> hello everyone..
>
> i've got one that is making me a little mad when it comes to printing.
>
> all kde applications that have a print option use CUPS + Gimp-print,
> which works well, however, all Gnome apps, staroffice, etc
> ( all non-KDE-specific apps ) use lpr, so i want them to use CUPS.
>

> how can i manage to do this? CUPS does not appear as an option in
> "print setup" in any of these programs, and i've only managed to print
> to PS output, then ps2pdf and print from KDE's pdf viewer.
>
> is there any way to get cups as an option fon printing in non-kde apps?
>
> ... i've got a weird feeling it's a simple matter..?

"lpr" is a print command - you're thinking of "lpd", which is the print
daemon, and the alternative to CUPS.  I only have CUPS installed, and I've
never had any problems with non-KDE apps.  Check your CUPS configuration and
/etc/printcap - if they're set up with defaults (/etc/printcap should just
have one line reading "lp:", assuming you have one printer which is locally
connected) then you should have no problems.

Robin