>SNIP
> There are too many of these things for me at present - and I have
> also installed binaries which means the rpm database no longer
> knows what is what.
>SNIP

You can easily lose track of binaries you have installed by compiling since
they do not go into the rpm database. It is also difficult to remove packages
you have installed this way, unless there is a 'make uninstall' available.

So I recommend you install your binaries using 'checkinstall'

Instead of the usual
./configure
make
make install

just do
./configure
checkinstall

It will compile the code, turn it into an rpm, save the rpm in /usr/src/RPMS
and install the rpm for you. You can then remove the package in the usual way.

You can get checkinstall from Cooker
http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/cooker/contrib/SRPMS/checkinstall-1.5.1-2mdk.src.html

HTH

derek