On Sunday 17 March 2002 21:04, John Richard Smith wrote:
> I recently downloaded an updated kernel version 2.4.8-26mdk.rpm
> which is said to be  suited to LM8.1 .

Well don't use that kernel... It is the one that shipped with 8.1 and was
replaced due to a security vulnerability. The current 'official' kernel for
8.1 is 2.4.8-34mdk You can get it from www.rpmfind.net

LM8.2 will be released this week, and that will have a much newer kernel.

> How can I install this without overwriting my existing kernel
> version k2.4.8-19mdk in /boot partition.
>
> When I went to install it using RPM package manager I am sure
> it was going to overwrite so I chose to leave it.

Good move... so many people have had problems by overwriting kernels...

You should install the kernel alongside the old one with
rpm -Ivh kernel blah blah

> I want to install kv2.4.8-16mdk in the same /boot partition as
> old kernel version and work out a Lilo boot script to boot it.So
> I bet it isn't that simple ?

Yes it is. All you need is a new stanza in your /etc/lilo.conf file.
 For a complete procedure on kernel updating refer to
http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/docs/magic.php

HTH

derek