Drosera wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I am sorry for the HTML :-)
>
>I can talk to my local network (ping 192.168.0.2 works). so that's not the
>problem. I think my problem at this moment is a wrong network card (ISA
>3Com509B) I will get today another one, maybe then my problems are solved.
>
>Can I use the standard DHCP server which comes with Mandrake (I guess so)? I
>will keep you informed about my progress ;-)
>
>Greets,
>
>Drosera.
>

>>What have you got working... divide it into two problems.
>>
>>Can the server talk to the internet ok?
>>
>>Can it talk to the other computer (the client) ok?
>>
>>By the way... you will get growled for using HTML postings to the net. A
>>
>lot of
>
>>the top guns will not answer html postings as their e-mail programs are
>>
>text
>
>>based.
>>
>>Michael
>>

>---

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Yep, that particular ISA card claims to detect and transmits but on some
systems does not receive.

If you use internet connection sharing, and the two ethernet cards
suggest you are thinking of it, the DHCP server will be activated, the
eth0 to local will be 192.168.0.1 (that is what to tell the other
machines for gateway address) and you can use the dhcp wizard to specify
the address range.  That setup will also plug 192.168.0.1 as the
nameserver for each of your locals and activate a forwarding DNS on the
gateway box.

If you are doing this with 8.1, then make sure you go to
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/81errata.php3
and read it.  Tiny Firewall is _not_ recommended; use the other
solution, lest you cut your gateway out of NFS/NIS and any possibility
of functioning as a fileserver and mailserver without hand modification
of the firewall rules.

Civileme